Sunday, December 03, 2006

This painting is called 'I Am Magnificant Just The Way I Am'. Yep, its a bit like an affirmation, but when you have three daughters it is a great affirmation to have. Mind you, whenever I talk about affirmations the girls tell me I am a Hippy...as if it is just too dreadful to be a Hippy.

I will admit to standing in front of the mirror to do some preparatory drawings for this series of work. It has been awhile since I have focused on the figure and I've really enjoyed this latest inclination of mine.

I went to the opening of the revamped Queensland Art Gallery and the new GOMA on Friday night. What a party. 4,000 people were there and it was great. I didn't really pay attention to much art....now this astonishes people when I say this. But, I know I will return, many, many times. Also, drinking bubbly out of a straw [Yep, that's what was provided!] certainly turned my head into a totally aerated space. As an artist stuck in the studio you don't actually meet a lot of people unless you go out. I love going out and having a good time. Also, the networking is tres important...the nuances of the Art World are like shifting sands of time!

This painting above will be in the Doggett Street Gallery Christmas exhibition opening 15 Dec and closing 2pm 16 Dec.

1 comment:

Maria Catalina Wiley said...

Love this one, especially the colours. I will be going to the new Gallery in 2 weeks when we travel down to Brisbane. I'm so looking forward to it! We don't often come down to Brisbane. Will check out some other galleries also.
Best wishes,
Maria, Biloela