Tuesday, May 24, 2011

GAS GALLERY

Commodified Oil on linen 36 x 36 cm


I am back in my studio working on an oil painting. But, it will be awhile before it is finished. I am working towards my exhibition Paradise @ Purgatory Artspace in Melbourne 8 Sept- 8 October. Stay tuned for updates as time goes by.

Regular readers will know of my concerns about the impacts of the burgeoning Coal Seam Gas industry [plus open cut coal mining] here in Australia and elsewhere around the world. In the last couple of months public awareness of, and concern about, the industry has increased. So much so, that the media, politicians and the industry itself are beginning to realise public concern is not coming from only the fringes.

Yesterday a gas well at Daandine, near Dalby where I grew up, blew. Here are two articles about the event. 


Events such as these [and this is the 4th leakage, blowout on this property] highlight the risks of this industry, not only to safety, but to the environment; to water, soil and ultimately food production and sustainability. As I have written before, applying the % risk that business is used to, is not the % risk science would apply to activities with potential impacts on the balance of nature eg: the intricate and complex system that is the Great Artesian Basin. [Please see my painting Risk below]

I decided to create a 'Gas Gallery' with a small selection of my paintings that have been 'inspired' by my deep concerns. As I have written before this is my 'quiet activist' work.  In most of the paintings I use small $ signs to create the image details ie: soil, water, sky etc. The smallness of the $ signs means viewers do not discern them from a distance, but as the viewer moves closer the $ signs become apparent. I am 'asking' the question, "Have you noticed what's happening?'


Cooked With Gas Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm





$oils Ain't $oils Anymore Oil on linen 80 x 100 cm


Detail $oils Ain't $oils Anymore


Salt Eternal Gouache on paper


Can We Eat Coal For Breakfast?  Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm



GAB: Great Artesian Basin Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm


Risk Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm


Earth For Sale Oil on linen 120 x 160 cm


Lifeblood Oil on linen 90 x 200 cm

Well, it is back to the studio for me. But, before I go, I am very happy to report that 2 of my 3 paintings in the Women's legal Service Qld Exhibition sold on the opening night, plus the painting that was included in the Auction.

Cheers for now,
Kathryn

1 comment:

Audubon Ron said...

I was sort of hoping my duck embryo post and film of a live action heart beating embryo would have inspired a painting of the most important issue of all mankind - namely, ducks. No? (Okay, maybe not all mankind but most of mankind. Some of mankind?) :)

Srsly, congrats on selling your paintings. The great thing about your paintings is folks don't go to the store to just pick one of those up. They want to own one and place it prominently in a visual center to release the silent dialog which is released between the viewer and the seen.