Thursday, July 23, 2009

JIGSAW

                                                 Love Puzzle Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm unframed 2003


                                                        Jigsaw Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm unframed 2003



TWO PAINTINGS FROM 2003

Jigsaw and Love Puzzle are two works on paper from a larger series of work centred around the bride. These two paintings belong to a subset of about 5-6 paintings each appropriating Titian's famous painting Sacred and Profane Love which is a bridal portrait, but unusual for the time as the husband is not present. Venus, the God of Love, hovers with a distracted Cupid focused not on anyone else but on playing. The young bride gazes out of the painting but not at the viewer who wonders what lies behind her eyes. These three characters are placed against a beautiful pastorale scene. Venus's drapes indicate some kind of action yet the remainder of the painting is measured and contemplative. One wonders about love and its expression in the sixteenth century. And we also wonder about love and its expression in the 21st century!

I am really fond of this series of paintings, so I thought they deserved a posting.

This link will take you to an image of Titian's Sacred and Profane Love
http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/eamor.htm


Cheers,
Kathryn
www.kathrynbrimblecombe-fox.com



5 comments:

Audubon Ron said...

Love the jigsaw paintings. Congrats on the sale. That is one of my favorites.

moneythoughts said...

Ditto to Ron's comments. I would never have recognized the jigsaw paintings as being your work though; however, the more I looked at it, I could see it. The big painting that you sold is a great piece of work. I think the buyer made a very smart purchase.

Tired, tired eyes, tired brain, all the same. It takes a smart person to know when to take a break. I have left things for quite a while and then gone back and finished them. Some times it takes more than a night's rest to sort it out. Good luck with your latest painting.

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

Hi Ron and Fred,
Thanks for visiting my BLOG and commenting. Fred, I don;t often do figurative work, but I am working on a piece at the moment. Revisiting the Love Puzzle and Jigsaw paintings has inspired some new thoughts. Kathryn

paKRaden said...


NICE POST visit my site.


FORUM INTERNATIONAL FREE ADS



free back link otomatis
http://backlink.netau.net/


Charlotte Rossmann said...

Kathryn,
I like the Jigsaw as well. Beautiful line quality and subtle colors.
Thank you for posting on my blog as well.
Would love to see the work in person!
Charlotte