Friday, November 19, 2021

KATHRYN'S DATASET MAP OF FACIAL EXPRESSIONS

Face Database: Kathryn's Dataset Map Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm 2021


This is a bit of fun - playing with the concept of face datasets that assist in training AI for facial recognition and expression analysis. I've mapped correlations between my various faces eg: check out the links I make to the mansplaining face! 

For artists who use face datasets, or any kind of dataset created by others for an array of purposes, it is important to investigate legal and ethical issues relating to use, appropriation, exhibition, publication  and so on. These issues are particularly relevant for artists who use digital and cyber new media platforms, and who may use images or datasets from other sources. There seems to be a cascading array of issues relating to use, appropriation, privacy, copyright etc in a world of digital images, distributed or accessed via the internet. 

That's why I paint! That's why I use paint to parody and critique. I love painting!

Please enjoy Kathryn's Dataset Map. It kind of channels the emoji look, but also Humpty Dumpty and other Egg Heads   

Cheers, Kathryn😁




No comments: