Tuesday, August 09, 2011

NEW PERSPECTIVES?

Underground Currency [Great Artesian Basin] Oil on linen 80 x 100 cm

My presentation at the C.J Jung Society of Queensland last week went really well. I have had some great feedback. My topic was 'The Trans-Cultural/ Religious Tree of Life and Knowledge: An Artist’s Quest to Reinterpret Past Visual Representations to Revitalise Their Potency for the 21st Century'. I spoke for about an hour and a half with another half an hour of discussion during and after the presentation.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9tT2iwGaI which is a video of a segment of the talk. My daughter took the footage. Fortunately she 'got' me while I was talking about my 'quiet activism'. Regular readers will know of my intense interest in and concern for the environment, water and food security in the face of the burgeoning coal seam gas industry and increasing open cut coal mining in Australia...indeed the world. 

In this footage I am talking about my painting 'Underground Currency: Great Artesian Basin' [pictured above]. I discussed my 'quiet activism' towards the end of the talk. I had spent some time on various aspects of the transcultural/religious tree-of-life in my work...distance, beauty, perspective, conversation, identity, life, systems and so on. All of these are important aspects of my 'quiet activism' as well.
Here's a link to my previous post for 'Underground Currency' http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2011/01/underground-currency.html 

My daughter also took some footage of other bits of the presentation. I will upload them soon.
Compassion Oil on linen 100 x 100 cm

I learnt yesterday that my entry 'Compassion' for the Blake Prize [for religious and spirtual art], whilst not making it to being one of the finalists, actually did make it to the finalist consideration stage. Thus, it is now in the running to be included in what is called 'The Director's Cut' exhibition, which will be online at the Blake Society webpage from October 6. Time will tell if it is in the exhibition.


blogtalkradio
Interview
Wednesday 10 August I am being interviewed by Heather Price on her blogtalkradio show Connecting Consciously Radio with Heather Price. Here's the link for you to listen 9-10 am.  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thedifference/2011/08/09/connecting-consciously-radio-with-heather-price#.Tj_cC5cHO7Y.email 
Added after the interview: The link will take you to the recording too!

ART and INSIGHTS
for two upcoming workshops I am co-presenting with Gabriele Engstrom. In troubled times creativity can helps us problem solve in ways we may not have thought about before. Both workshops are designed to ignite creativity by exploring symbols.

CURRENTLY WORKING ON.....
I am currently working on a large painting...a new 'quiet activist' one! It is the map of Australia with the Murray Darling Basin highlighted in small $ signs...well I have to paint them yet, but that's the plan. Here's a link to the work on paper which has inspired me to paint a larger oil painting. http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2010/11/murray-darling-currency.html

AND

PARADISE @ Purgatory Artspace
for all the details, including an artist's statement.
My forthcoming solo exhibition in Melbourne 8 Sept-8 Oct!

GFC and Current Events
In 2008 I wrote a blog post about some of my thoughts on the financial crisis which, at that time, was causing havoc across the world. Given recent events which have rocked fragile world economies again, I wonder if we've really heard the call to reality. In 'After The Implosion' I looked at the role a degenerative, unhealthy post modernism may have played in hijacking reality and arresting maturity.


Cheers,
Kathryn

No comments: