Wednesday, May 19, 2010

NOTIONS OF PERSPECTIVE


Into My Galaxy Oil on linen 85 x 147 cm

I hung my exhibition 'Presence' at the Upfront Club in Maleny yesterday. For my BLOG visitors from overseas, Maleny is a picturesque town in the hinterland hills behind Queensland's famous Sunshine Coast. It takes about 1 3/4 hours to drive north from Brisbane. The town has an eclectic population of young and old, artists, musicians, retired academics, retired all sorts of people [journalists, merchant bankers, farmers], hillchangers from Sydney and Melbourne, Feng Shui experts, world leaders in co-operatives and so on.

The show looks great...if I say so myself. And, I certainly received very positive stroking comments from a number of people ...passers by, staff at the Upfront Club, diners. Lots of chatting yesterday in between the unwrapping of paintings and being precariously perched on the top rung of a ladder.

Here's a link to a recent  previous post about 'Presence':
http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2010/05/presence.html

DETAILS OF THE EXHIBITION:

Title of Exhibition: PRESENCE
Dates: Thursday 20 – Tuesday 15 June 2010
Venue: Upfront Club, 31 Maple St, Maleny. 07 5494 2592 http://www.upfrontclub.org/
Opening Event: Thursday 20 May 6 pm – 8 pm


Forever Connected Oil on linen 120 x 80 cm

The Brush Of Angels' Wings Oil on linen 50 x 92 cm

The three paintings above 'Into My Galaxy', 'Forever Connected' and 'The Brush Of Angels' Wings' are in 'Presence'. With all three paintings I have explored notions of perspective. Regular readers of my BLOG know that literal and metaphoric perspective are of great interest to me. Metaphoric perspective is the greater interest. However, I distort or play with literal perspective to engage the viewer in a felt experience of not being quite sure of their viewing point and thus their 'place' in relationship with the painting. In an increasingly globalised world in which we live locally, I think it is a matter of survival to develop skills of 'seeing' multiple perspectives simultaneously. Yet, traditional notions of perspective compel us to 'see' maybe one to three points of view, but not necessarily simultaneously. Distance also transpires to keep perspective as a line-of-sight kind of experience rather than a sentient multi-dimensional experience, that maybe akin to some kind of absorbtion. With this in mind, I am beginning to think that traditional notins of perspective are limiting and that a new name needs to be created to describe the ability to 'see' mutiple viewpoints simultaneously.

The three paintings above all depict the tree-of-life. As regular readers of my BLOG know this archetypal symbol is my favoured visual vehicle to explore my ideas. The tree-of-life is transcultural and trans-religious and thus needs no or little explanation. From my experience I know its potency is that it resonnates deep within people, at an almost cellular level. Yet, why should this surprise? The tree mirrors our own bodies, our internal life systems as well as those systems that nurture the Earth...and of course the potential is that it provides some kind of mirror to those systems existing beyond Earth, but which in turn keep our planet from disappearing.

'Into My Galaxy' is all about 'out there'. The tree is the source seemingly contained within the moment of fertilisation, set against a universal background which simultaneously suggests endless space and the intimate warm protection of the womb. Yet, the tree could also be interpreted as being inside the energy or fundamental force suggested by String Theory. Viewed up close this painting revelas that all the small markings which create the colourful background are little squigggles or 'strings' replicating the larger shape in which the tree is contained.

Regular readers of my BLOG know that I am very interested in how people view my paintings. The movement back and forth to see my work at close and far distance is important to me. Firstly it replicates how I have created a painting, as I paint up close and move back to a distance to examine and analyse what I have done. Secondly, this movement of both the artist and the viewer is maybe an exemplar for how we need to view our increasingly globalised world ie: to understand and 'see' the macro as well as the micro.

I have written about 'The Brush Of Angels' Wings' and 'Forever Connected' previously. Here are the links:
http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2009/05/angels-wings.html
http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com/2009/05/forever-connected.html


Cheers,
Kathryn

3 comments:

Audubon Ron said...

You mean the Upfront Club is an ole hippie joint. Actually I Googled it and saw pictures. Looks like a fun place. I saw your name on the agenda.

Kathryn Brimblecombe-Fox said...

Hi Ron,
You got it. Yes, a hippie joint woudl be a apt description. That's why I love it. And, I know you'd think it was great too.
Cheers,
Kathryn

Sam Hollingsworth said...

Kathryn,

I was recently with "Moneythoughts Fred" and he showed me your work and we both were impressed. Most specifically your exhibit exposure over the years. I had created a blog to show some work that I did last year but I was lackadaisical in maintaining the site. I didn't check if there were any comments. I checked yesterday while I was updating my blog to promote my upcoming show (May 28 to June 27, Collectors Art Group, Cincinnati, OH, USA) and to my pleasant surprise you, of all people, commented on my work. I am flattered. I have looked at your work and I am very impressed how well you can visually articulate your values that you describe in your profile. I admire your art making skills and your willingness to work in a variety of mediums.
That said, I value your opinions and comments. I would be pleased if you could check out my new postings and see what you think.

Regards,

Sam Hollingsworth